- What is happening?
After decades of conflict, invasions, wars and as a result of the departure of American troops, the Taliban have already taken over almost the entire country, including the capital, causing worldwide terror.
- With a population of approximately 38 million, at least 18 million people need urgent help
- Thousands have been killed or forced to flee
- Women and girls are at high risk of being abused, tortured or killed. They do not have human rights, they are not allowed to be seen in public, they need to wear a burqa and be accompanied by a chaperone of the opposite sex, be it their father, brother or husband, medical attention from a male doctor is prohibited. They cannot go to school other than to learn religion.
- More than 300,000 Afghan allies who worked with the United States in Afghanistan are in danger. Biden plans to relocate them to a government facility in VA.
- Certain other Afghans could resettle in the US under the P2 program if they manage to escape the country.
- The sad thing is that these aforementioned efforts can benefit less than 1% of Afghans.
- How can we help?
Through donations, call for a ceasefire, supporting the peace talks
Through a verified organization that provides shelter, education, health support, and helps relocate to safe locations, such as:
Lutheran Immigration and Relief Service https://lirsconnect.org/get_involved/action_center/siv (to get on the list to receive refugees)
If you know anyone from Afghanistan that may need immigration assistance, please contact us.