An unlimited number of green cards can be issued to immigrants who are immediate relatives of US citizens. Examples of such are:
- Spouse of U.S. citizen, including recent widows and widowers.
- Unmarried people under the age of 21 who have at least one US citizen parent.
- Parents of U.S. citizens, if the US citizen child is over the age of 21.
- Stepchildren creating the stepparent/stepchild relationship took place before the child’s 18th Birthday and;
- Parents and children related through adoption, if the adoption took place before the child reached the age of 16.