skip to Main Content

An “Outstanding Researcher or Professor” EB-1B petition is for those who are internationally recognized as outstanding in a particular scientific or scholarly field. There are three (3) main requirements for someone seeking a petition as an “Outstanding Researcher/Professor”, including:

  • International recognition as being outstanding in a specific academic field.
  • At least three years of relevant research or teaching experience: Research or teaching experience obtained while in pursuit of an advanced degree, such as a Ph.D., can be counted toward the three year requirement, but only if the alien has acquired the degree, and if the teaching duties were such that he or she had full responsibility for the class taught or if the research conducted toward the degree has been recognized within the academic field as outstanding. The alien must document his work history with letters from current and/or former employers describing work duties and years of employment.
  • A job offer for a permanent research position or a tenured or tenure-track teaching position: Generally, the job offer is given by a university or other similar academic or scientific institution, but it can also be offered by a private employer. If the offer is from a private employer, the employer must have at least three full-time researchers along with accompanying documentation supporting their accomplishments within the field.

As with all first preference petitions, no Labor Certification is required. However, the person seeking permanent residence status on the basis of an EB-1B Outstanding Researcher/Professor classification must have the requisite job offer with the employer filing the petition on the alien’s behalf. To be recognized internationally as an Outstanding Researcher or Professor in one’s field requires at least two (2) of the following types of evidence:

  • Receipt of major prizes or awards for outstanding achievement.
  • Membership in associations which require outstanding achievements of their members.
  • Published material in professional publications written by others about the alien’s work (more than merely citing the alien’s work).
  • Participation as a judge (individually or as a part of a panel) evaluating the work of others.
  • Original scientific, scholarly, or artistic contributions in the field.
  • Evidence of authorship of scholarly books/articles in journals with an international circulation.
Back To Top