skip to Main Content

The Treaty Trader (E-1) Visa is the result of an agreements between the U.S. and certain other nations regarding commerce that provide nationals of those countries may enter and work in in the U.S. if they meet certain conditions. Applicants under this category must be the same nationality as the company for which they work, and the company must be undertaking a level of trade with America sufficient to support the employee in America.

To be eligible for this visa:

  • The applicant must be a national of a country which has a commercial treaty or agreement with America
  • The applicant must intend to conduct trade in the U.S. of a substantial nature (i.e. an amount of trade sufficient enough to ensure a continuous flow of international trade items between the U.S. and the treaty country);
  • The trade must be conducted principally between the U.S. and the treaty country of which the applicant is a national
  • If the applicant is not the principal trader, he or she must be employed in a managerial or executive capacity or have specialized knowledge which makes their presence essential for the operation of the trade
  • The applicant must intend to leave the U.S. when the visa expires.

The E-1 Visa initially allows a stay of up to 2 years, although there is no limit to the total time the visa holder may remain in America providing they continue to meet all visa extension requirements. In addition, the spouse of an E-1 Visa holder and dependent children are also granted this visa status.

Back To Top