There are 3 recent news related to the medical examination required by USCIS.
- As of October 1, 2021, the Covid-19 vaccine will be required for medical exams. The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) has recommended the vaccine for the general population of the United States, specifically for those eligible for the vaccine. Therefore, the Covid-19 vaccine now meets the criteria for required vaccines and becomes one more requirement for eligible applicants. Applicants must provide the authorized physician with evidence in person of having completed the entire series of vaccines (1 or 2 doses depending on the formulation) in addition to the other vaccines required routinely.
- Employment based adjustment applicants who receive an-RFE requesting form I-693 must respond to this request by overnight mail or via priority service. USCIS indicates that it has made this decision to limit the number of visas of this type that go unused annually.
- Immigration temporarily changes essential requirement for medical examination. As of August 12, 2021, USCIS temporarily extends the validity of Form I-693 from 2 years to 4 years. For decisions related to I-485 adjustment applications issued on or before September 30, 2021, USCIS may accept form I-693 if:
- The signature of the authorized civil surgeon is dated no more than 60 days before the applicant filed Form I-485;
- It has not been more than 4 years since the civil surgeon’s signature; and
- A decision is given on or before September 30, 2021.
Remember that it is not required to submit the medical examination along with the adjustment application and that it may be presented on the day of the interview, although in certain cases an-interview is not required. However, submitting the medical examination along with the adjustment application could prevent USCIS from issuing an-RFE (Request for Evidence) requesting the medical examination which frees up delays in the approval of your case if the appointment is not required.
For more information on this matter, please visit: https://www.uscis.gov/i-693.