Recently a couple of much needed benefits have been extended to Venezuelan nationals residing in the United States, many of whom are students under F1 status. With various options, students and their schools alike have found themselves at odds not knowing which benefit they qualify or should apply for. Below we break down the different benefits in hopes to help clarify this predicament:
- Severe Economic Hardship valid for duration of program
- School verifies hardship evidence presented by student
- School enters authorization in SEVIS (duration is based on program length shown on I-20)
- School issues I-20 indicating student is authorized to engage in Employment under Severe Economic Hardship category
- Student is also authorized to reduce course load
- Student applies for EAD and pays applicable government fees (if approved, card will be approved for duration of program or I-20).
- TPS (Temporary Protected Status) valid from 03/09/2021 to 09/09/2022
- Student collects evidence and applies for TPS including applicable government fees
- Student maintains status, continues to attend full course of study
- Student may work under approved TPS EAD
- DED (Deferred Enforced Deferral) valid thru July 20, 2022
- No application required
- Qualifying Venezuelan nationals may apply for a DED EAD.
For further guidance or assistance with these processes, please contact us at 954-306-6921