skip to Main Content

Change or Extension of Visa Status

Applying for a change of status provides permission to foreigners with a non-immigrant visa in the United States to change status to another category of non-immigrant while in the United States. You may be eligible to change your status to another non-immigrant status if:

  • You have legally entered the United States on a nonimmigrant visa.
  • Your nonimmigrant visa status is still valid.
  • You have not committed any crime that would make you ineligible.

Certain nonimmigrants who maintain status and wish to change to another state including:

  • Diplomats and other government officials and their dependents and employees with an A visa.
  • Temporary visitors for business or pleasure in visa category B.
  • Academic F-1 visa students and their dependents with F-2 visa.
  • Representatives of international organizations and their dependents and employees with a G.
  • Representatives of foreign visa media and their dependents.
  • Exchange J-1 Visa visitors and their J-2 visa dependents who are not subject to the 2-year home residency requirement in § 212 (e).
  • Professional M-1 visa students and their dependents with M-2 visa.
  • Parents and children of people who have been given special immigrant status because their parents were employed by an international organization in the United States.
  • Temporary workers on H, L, O, P, Q or R visa and their dependents.

It’s important to note that persons who enter with the visa waiver under ESTA are not eligible to applica for a change or extension of status

Back To Top